PainCare is the leading medical practice in the northeast dedicated exclusively to pain management.
PainCare is not merely a pain clinic. Our services include everything that a pain clinic provides, yet so much more. We understand that pain is more effectively treated when multiple approaches are combined. Our comprehensive pain centers not only offer interventional pain management modalities, such as injections and advanced surgical implants, but also physical therapy, counseling, alternative therapies, and medication management.
Our staff of caring, knowledgeable providers uses the most advanced therapeutic and surgical/interventional technologies available to treat your pain. All of us at PainCare are truly passionate about easing the suffering of our patients. Our goal is recovery for the whole person and a return to a meaningful and productive life.
To alleviate pain and restore quality of life.
- Pain is whatever the person experiencing the pain says it is.
- Pain often has a profound effect on the individual, the family, and other support systems.
- Pain is complex, potentially affecting the physical, mental, social, economic, and spiritual well-being of the patient and sometimes significant others.
- Each patient has the inherent right to function at the highest achievable state of self-sufficiency and independence.
- That a goal-oriented approach involving various combinations of medical, physical, educational, psychological, and spiritual interventions can best help each patient.
PainCare was founded by local doctors Michael J. O’Connell, MD, MHA and John C. Bell, MD (1932-1995). In the late 1980s, they worked together as practicing anesthesiologists at Frisbie Memorial Hospital in Rochester, New Hampshire. It was there that Dr O’Connell initiated a program of specialized care for patients with acute, sub-acute and chronic pain.
As the number of pain patients grew, it became apparent that there was an enormous, unaddressed need in the seacoast area for a specialized facility and healthcare team dedicated exclusively to this significant, underserved population.
With the goal of providing the highest quality of individualized yet comprehensive care, Drs. O’Connell and Bell established the seacoast area’s first and only center devoted exclusively to the treatment of pain. On June 25, 1992, PainCare (originally Northeast Pain Consultation) welcomed the first patient to its Somersworth surgicenter facility. PainCare expanded its service area in 1998 by opening a second surgicenter facility in Merrimack, New Hampshire. Since then, PainCare has expanded and today has an impressive 12 offices located throughout New Hampshire.
Working alongside the many talented staff members who have joined the PainCare family over the years, Dr. O’Connell continues to build upon and administer the conceptual legacy he and Dr. Bell initiated over two decades ago.